Getting enrolled in kindergarten requires three steps. The easiest way to do it is to visit this page for full details: Hello Kindergarten Page
STEP 1 - COME TO KINDERGARTEN FUN TIMES.
We invite your child and family to attend Kindergarten Fun Times on Thursday, March 30. Our school will be open between 5:30 - 7:00 for the visit. Your family can drop by at the most convenient time. A Spanish translator will be available at 6:00 to visit with families if needed. We anticipate that you should expect to spend about 30-45 minutes at school.
At Fun Times, you will...
- visit our kindergarten classrooms!
- meet our kindergarten teachers, teaching assistants, and encore teaching staff.
- tour the school and see where your child will learn.
- meet our administrators, front office staff, school counselor, and social worker.
- visit our school nurse to learn more about entry requirements.
- get information about kindergarten enrollment process.
- sign up for a kindergarten screening time for April 25, 2023.
- play on our Mega Toy playground.
- get a special treat for your new kindergarten student!
STEP 2 - COMPLETE THE ONLINE ENROLLMENT FORM.
If you live outside of the Wilkesboro Elementary district, you will also need to complete the school of choice form. This form applies even if you have another child already at WES. It is important to complete this form as soon as possible to secure enrollment.
The online enrollment form takes about 20-30 minutes to complete. We suggest using a computer or tablet, as the form is hard to complete on a phone. If you need access to a computer, please call our office at 336-838-4261 to make an enrollment appointment. We are glad to provide access to a computer and help you.
For full details, please see the Wilkes County Schools Kindergarten Enrollment homepage.
STEP 3 - ATTEND KINDERGARTEN SCREENING ON APRIL 25.
Please come to WES for kindergarten screening at your appointment time on April 25. Sign up for kindergarten screening on April 25, 2023 here!
Your screening visit will take 30-45 minutes. At screening, you can expect:
- your child to work with school staff in short screening activities.
- your child's vision to be screened.
- to visit with school staff to share/review enrollment documents.
- to talk with the school nurse about any medical or dietary needs.
- to sign up for school bus transportation and other programs.
- to address your questions with school staff.
Please bring the following documents to Wilkesboro Elementary by April 25, 2023.
- photo ID of parent/guardian
- certified birth certificate of the child
- proof of residence (copy of bill with your address)
- proof of guardianship (if applicable)
- health assessment and immunizations (must be completed by child's doctor and submitted by August 2023)
Our office is open from 7:30 - 4:00 Monday - Friday. Please ring the bell and our office staff will be glad to take your documents and make copies if needed. If you prefer to submit your paperwork electronically, please send an e-mail to Sydney Nickles at [email protected] (with the subject line: WES kindergarten registration 2023).
AND JUST LIKE THAT, YOUR CHILD IS READY FOR KINDERGARTEN!
Once you have completed steps 1-3, our office staff will notify you that we have received everything needed for your child's enrollment. If you have questions, please call our office at 336-838-4261.
We encourage you to visit our school campus and explore our campus and playgrounds in the evenings and weekends so that your child will begin to see Wilkesboro Elementary as "my school". We also encourage you to follow Wilkesboro Elementary on Facebook.
We hope to offer a kindergarten play date in August 2023 so that children can visit the campus and meet other children before the start of school.
The first day of kindergarten will be August 28, 2023. We can't wait!