Step 1: Come to Kindergarten Fun Times at Wilkesboro Elementary!
At Fun Times, you will...
- visit our kindergarten classrooms!
- meet our kindergarten teachers, teaching assistants, and encore teaching staff.
- tour the school and see where your child will learn.
- meet our administrators, front office staff, school counselor, and social worker.
- visit our school nurse to learn more about entry requirements.
- get information about kindergarten enrollment process.
- sign up for a kindergarten screening time for April 26, 2022.
- play on our Mega Toy playground.
- get a special treat for your new kindergarten student!
If you live outside of the Wilkesboro Elementary district, you will also need to complete the school of choice form. This form applies even if you have another child already at WES. It is important to complete this form as soon as possible to secure enrollment.
The online enrollment form takes about 20-30 minutes to complete. We suggest using a computer or tablet, as the form is hard to complete on a phone. If you need access to a computer, please call our office at 336-838-4261 to make an enrollment appointment. We are glad to provide access to a computer and help you.
For full details, please see the Wilkes County Schools Kindergarten Enrollment homepage.
Step 3: Attend Kindergarten Screening on April 26.
Please come to WES for kindergarten screening at your appointment time on April 26. You can sign up for an appointment time at Fun Times on March 29. Your screening visit will take 30-45 minutes. At screening, you can expect:
- your child to work with school staff in short screening activities.
- your child's vision to be screened.
- to visit with school staff to share/review enrollment documents.
- to talk with the school nurse about any medical or dietary needs.
- to sign up for school bus transportation and other programs.
Please bring the following documents to Wilkesboro Elementary by April 26, 2022.
- photo ID of parent/guardian
- certified birth certificate of the child
- proof of residence (copy of bill with your address)
- proof of guardianship (if applicable)
- health assessment and immunizations (must be completed by child's doctor and submitted by August 2022)
Our office is open from 7:30 - 4:00 Monday - Friday. Please ring the bell and our office staff will be glad to take your documents and make copies if needed. If you prefer to submit your paperwork electronically, please send an e-mail to Amy Williams at [email protected] (with the subject line: WES kindergarten registration 2022).
Once you have completed steps 1-3, our office staff will notify you that we have received everything needed for your child's enrollment. If you have questions, please call our office at 336-838-4261.
We encourage you to visit our school campus and explore our campus and playgrounds in the evenings and weekends so that your child will begin to see Wilkesboro Elementary as "my school". We also encourage you to follow Wilkesboro Elementary on Facebook.
We hope to offer a kindergarten play date in August 2022 so that children can visit the campus and meet other children before the start of school.
The first day of kindergarten will be August 29, 2022. We can't wait!